Stronga help customers fulfil their zero waste to landfill ambitions by producing high calorific fuel from waste using our proven, high performance drying solutions. Resulting dry products are used to produce energy at re-covery facilities, helping clients to reduce their reliance on fossil fuels and avoid landfilling residual waste. In the video, see the efficient and highly versatile Stronga FlowDrya drying saturated waste to dry RDF.
Municipal Solid Waste (MSW) is considered as valuable raw material for the production of energy. Sorting MSW produces waste streams, including saleable recyclable materials, non-recyclable materials for landfill, and high calorific Solid Re-covered Fuel (SRF) and Refuse Derived Fuel (RDF).
Solid Re-covered Fuel (SRF) is produced from commercial waste such as paper, textiles and plastic. With a moisture content of less than 15%, SRF has a high calorific value and is primarily used in cement kilns. SRF can be produced to a range of specifications to meet requirements.
Refuse Derived Fuel (RDF) is produced from domestic waste such as biodegradable materials and plastics. RDF is used in Combined Heat and Power (CHP) facilities where electricity and hot water are produced for communal heating systems. This approach produces far fewer carbon emissions.
High calorific SRF and RDF is becoming a popular energy solution to reduce the consumption of non-renewable fossil fuels, particularly in modern waste to energy plants and cement kiln facilities. Stronga FlowDrya is highly efficient and individually adaptable for drying SRF and RDF.
One benefit of converting waste to fuel is that the FlowDrya owner avoids expenses associated with waste disposal. Disposal expenses include landfill tax; landfill transport costs; and the cost of machinery damage on the landfill site. The client also has the added benefit of converting a wasted product into high added value fuel.
Discover the FlowDrya RDF drying process:
1. Municipal Solid Waste (MSW) is pre-sorted into 3 primary waste streams.
A. Saleable recyclable materials (including wood and metals).
B. Non-recyclable material to be sent to landfill.
C. High calorific Solid Re-covered Fuel (SRF) and Refuse Derived Fuel (RDF).
2. Saturated RDF is loaded into the pre-mixing and pre-heating FlowDrya hopper to initiate evaporative drying.
3. RDF to be dried is delivered under an adjustable depth control weir gate onto the moving drying bed.
4. On the FlowDrya moving drying bed, RDF flows in a unique PulseWave motion which mixes and inverts the material for a consistently uniform dry output.
5. A flux of warm drying quality air flows from the attached Heatex air control module, up through the ventilated moving drying bed and directly into the RDF, drying to the required moisture content.
6. Dry solid fuel and RDF output can be discharged via optional onward conveying systems.
7. Dry SRF output can be shredded, baled and wrapped in plastic film to ensure the moisture content remains at the required level.
8. RDF and SRF bales can be combusted to produce electricity in environments that meet the Waste Incineration Directive such as the cement kiln industry.
9. SRF bales can also be fed into pyrolysis plants and gasification modules where they are cleanly combusted.
Stronga FlowDrya is fully compatible for use with UK’s Renewable Heat Incentive (RHI) scheme. Our team support clients with RHI application by connecting them with our network of advisers, and providing technical data and thermal calculations. According to the UK Government’s RHI scheme, only Municipal Solid Waste (MSW) such as Solid Re-covered Fuel (SRF) and wastes which are at least 90% biomass are eligible. The UK Government’s RHI announcement reads…
“Eligible waste feedstock for combustion, gasification and pyrolysis will be limited to solid biomass from Municipal Solid Waste (MSW), including Solid Re-covered Fuel (SRF) from MSW.
In addition, other wastes where at least 90 per cent of their energy content is comprised of solid biomass will receive support. Examples of such wastes include waste wood and residues from the paper manufacturing industry”
In addition to Solid Re-covered Fuel and Refuse Derived Fuel streams, FlowDrya can dry a whole range of materials, leading to long-term financial profitability and productivity. Discover a few of the drying possibilities.
Discover more about the Stronga drying solutions:
Visit Stronga on Facebook:
Follow Stronga on Twitter: